Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A quote...and something about cinema.

Maurice Pialat is pictured above. I have just recently gotten into his films and I am absolutely blown away. He did only 10 films and I have only seen 4. They are as follows.

A Nos Amours
LouLou
L'enfance Nu
Police

If you have the time and the means, it is definitely worth checking him out. Most of his films aren't available here in North America, especially the ones he directed that aren't listed there. But let me tell you, both A Nos Amours and LouLou are masterpieces. Him and Godard, make my world go round.

Also...
I follow a few photo blogs pretty regularly for inspiration. One of them is by a New York photographer named Adam Amengual. I like his stuff. Anyway, he just posted this quote and I thought it was interesting, so I copied and pasted.

"I had been sitting by Hoan Kiem Lake one day in June 1995 when the thought took hold that I had to go home to photograph. It was not so much that I missed home, but that I was, at long last, ready to face the challenge of photographing in the United States. I wanted to make the American landscape my own again.

My first American project after my travels was, looking back, preposterous: to make a body of work of New York at large. Preposterous because New York had been monumentalized in photographs in seminal ways during the last century. After Diane Arbus, Walker Evans, Robert Frank, Lee Friedlander, William Klein, Helen Levitt, Weegee, Garry Winogrand and others, who needed more pictures of New York? But once you start down that road of thought, you might as well ask yourself, who needs more pictures period? I gave a nod of appreciation to my predecessors, then forced myself to forget about them."

Mitch Epstein. From "Work".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for being a fan!